There are multiple methods for connecting T-Slot Aluminium profiles.
Here is some useful information to help you decide which style of connection you need for your particular application.
The most common types of connecting systems and what you need to know when choosing.
- The standard through connection This method make use of an access hole drilled inside the slot to allow an Allan key to access a low profile cap screw that is threaded into the opposite part. Drilling and Tapping operations are required for this style, it is an easy system to use if you have the proper equipment. The disadvantage that this method has is that is Prone to rotating loose when subjected to a rotational load and the fact that it is not possible to relocate members without drilling new holes.
- Internal corner brackets: This is possibly the most versatile and cost-effective system. It is very strong and easy to assemble without any additional machining operations and joins can easily be relocated with minimal problems. If you need to install panelling inside your slot these corner brackets will interfere with the panel
- Die-cast corner brackets These corner brackets are easy to use and allow for the relocation of parts, the resulting connection is strong although rotational loads can be problematic if only one bracket is used. Sliding nuts and bolts or drop in T studs with flange nuts are required to install these parts.
- Extruded aluminium corner brackets: These brackets are similar to the die-cast brackets and are also available in the 45-degree format. They are often selected because they are more aesthetically pleasing. they don’t have the locating tabs that the die-cast bracket does. We are able to supply these in 3-meter lengths enabling the construction of specialised corner joints.
- Articulated joints: These connectors can be used to create any angle that you need and are excellent for installing bracing on frames. These are not to be confused with hinges.
- Connecting plates are useful for providing additional strength to a join where required, These are available in a range of materials, colours and sizes. We often custom make this type of plate to suit a particular situation.
We often combine 2 or more connecting systems, particularly in an environment that will be subjected to a lot of movement or vibration such as a fit-out in a camper van.
It is important to consider structural integrity when building with T-Slot Aluminium and to understand the types of loads and forces that the frame will be subjected to.
Each system has its own merits and it is important to first properly analyse the type of loads that will be applied to your structure and the way in which these loads will affect the individual profile members. In situations where safety could be compromised, we recommend that a thorough design analysis is carried out by a qualified person.